Wednesday 2 November 2011

Notes from my journal...

...or my scruffy WH Smith's notebook, but let's not quibble.

Sunday 30th October 2011

So, I find myself taking comfort in the most extroadinary ways, for example by sitting in the dark on the garden bench, sipping port, smoking cigarettes and clutching a small cuddly toy to my bosom, and this is no mean feat considering I only have two hands. So what has encouraged these outside pursuits, this need to be alone to think? Damaged pride at being duped? No it isn't this. It is more likely to be my damaged philosophy for living my life. I have , over the years trained myself to be non-judgemental of others; to be accepting of different attitudes; to understand that other people have and are entitled to live their lives anyway they see fit, so long as they don't impact negatively on others. And where has this politically correct, woolly thinking attitude led me... other than up the garden path to a bench with a packet of cigarettes... glass of port.... weird  cuddly toy...etc... well, I fear it has led me to being dismissive of my gut instincts about people. He was an idiot; she was peculiar; I always knew that. So why did I give them the time of day?
Gut instincts are there for a reason, ignore them at your peril.
Tomorrow I will push the bottle of port to the back of the larder cupboard. Tomorrow I will return to my yoga mat [which looks suspiciously like a wii-fit balance board]. Tomorrow I will cut back my smoking habit to the usual thirteen cigarettes a day. Tomorrow I will return to normal. But I'll be damned if I'm going to give up that weird cuddly toy. I shall carry him always and name him Fred.

21 comments:

  1. Greetings to Fred.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would just finish off the bottle of port... the larder can be replenished another day....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello:
    Oh, sad, sad day! Trust people until they let you down is our mantra and, in reality, they seldom do and those who do disappoint well, more fool us for not seeing it coming.

    Fred and the port sound wonderful; we are a little concerned about the cigarettes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr Von: I should think so!

    Mr 63: He is waving back.

    Princess: Well, I haven't had a glass of port since Sunday, so where's the harm, eh?

    Jane and Lance: Admittedly the cigarettes aren't quite under control yet.

    Z: Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am concerned about how the second hand smoke is affecting Fred.

    ReplyDelete
  6. MJ: Please do not worry, I am going to spray him liberally with Fabreze. Or stick him in the washing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I fear Fred may be leading you astray! Blow some of that smoke my way, I've cut down to seven a day and feel deprived.

    On gut instincts: I've learnt that when mine persist in telling me someone isn't my glass of port they're always right. But I must ignore them to begin with as they can be just plain bitchy at times.

    Good luck with your return to normality, X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elsie, I've got a garden bench just like that. My kittie objects to a bit too much cuddling though, she squirms!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If the cuddly toy has pride of place next to your bosom, your gut instincts have told you it's trustworthy. You need to evaluate people in the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eryl: Oh yes! My gut instinct can easily be confused with my inner bitch, I have to be careful there.
    Got the cigarettes down to 15 yesterday, which is an improvement.

    Wendy: My kitties used to push me off the bench and not let me sit there, but I still miss them.

    GB: It's a pleasure to see you here. A Gorilla's wisdom should never be ignored, and never will be again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beware soul searching with a fortified wine.
    You obviously realise it is time to move on - as we all do at some time - a little older and wiser.
    But - in your case still lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm convinced that someone, who's used the psuedonym 'Scarlet' is blogging somewhere, now I just have no idea where, it's like a modern version of hide-and-seek ...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have to say, I got rid of Northern Bloke on the basis of gut instinct and I've no regrets whatsoever.

    Actually, thinking back on it, I agree. It took me years to actually give the time of day to the blogger, because I never liked the way he slagged off Norfolk (silly but true), but then as time progressed, we spent time together (not a lot and apparently, not as much as he would have liked).

    Ah well. It was an experience.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pat: You are very kind! And the fortified wine is back in the larder until Christmas... I'll stick with the whiskey until then!!

    Wendy: Whoops!!

    Roses: It was indeed an experience!!
    This year the overriding message to me from my experiences is to listen to my instincts... I've had this message about four or five times and now I'm going to take notice of it!

    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just realised I think you are using the same photo for both Scarlet and Elsie. Is that wise?
    I'm thinking of the recent bother.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pat: Ah. I have revised my plans. I am not going to be prised from my blog as easily as I thought I was!!
    Plans are afoot. This is all I can say. But whatever they are they are going to be jolly funny!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am trying so hard not to say something about afoot, and failing, I'm so predictable, DoH!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think Elsie's on holiday from now on?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes, Elsie has gone back to being Elsie!!

    ReplyDelete